Exploring the history of Prince Albert Street
— 15 Dec 2020 17:10:31 by Nick Mills
Our Commercial Agency team are pleased to confirm that a new tenancy has been completed on the former Café Rouge premises at 24 Prince Albert Street, Brighton. The new XOXO restaurant and bar will be opening early next year and we wish them every success for the future.
This building has an interesting history, with a variety of different occupiers and a diversity of uses. A photo from 1972 shows the building occupied by Hadlow and Sons, a local firm of Stationers and Printers. Back in 1900, the building was occupied by J Phillips, a Cheesemonger and Provision Merchant.
The properties in Prince Albert Street were completed in 1842 and the road was constructed to allow a new approach to the Town Hall from Ship Street - a thoroughfare linking the street with Black Lion Street.
The road was made possible when, in 1836, the Vicar of Brighton, the Reverend Henry Wagner, built a new vicarage near Montpelier Road. His old vicarage in Nile Street was acquired by a Quaker, Isaac Bass, who offered it to the Town Commissioners. It was demolished in 1837 and in 1842 Bass was paid £800 to knock down three houses in Black Lion Street and make the 30 feet wide western half of Prince Albert Street.
For Commercial property enquiries, please contact James Haywood.
Photo credits: mybrightonandhove.org.uk