What is a Chartered Surveyor?

— 25 Jun 2020, 14:11:16 by Jack Peacock

Chartered Surveyor Sh

A Chartered Surveyor is a professional Member or Fellow of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), with the right to use MRICS or FRICS after their name. Chartered Surveyors can work within a variety of roles in property advisory; at Graves Son & Pilcher our Chartered Surveyors specialise in Valuation Surveying.

What is the difference between a Surveyor and a Chartered Surveyor?

Surprisingly, there is no qualification or training required to be a Surveyor. However, to become a Member or Fellow of the RICS, a Surveyor must gain RICS qualifications, agree to work in accordance with RICS professional ethics and standards, and undertake Continued Professional Development (CPD) to ensure they are up-to-date with industry changes. There is therefore an added sense of security when using a qualified Chartered Surveyor, compared with an unqualified Surveyor.

Why do I need a Chartered Surveyor?

Many jobs specifically require the expertise of a Chartered Surveyor.  Examples of these are: Statutory Valuations under the RICS Red Book, which include Mortgage, Inheritance Tax (Probate), Accounts, Matrimonial and Expert Witness; and valuations for Lease Extensions, Rent Reviews and Lease Renewals. In order to undertake Statutory Valuations under the RICS Red Book, you have to be an RICS Registered Valuer and be part of the Valuer Registration Scheme.

At Graves Son & Pilcher we are proud to have a number of Chartered Surveyors who are RICS Registered Valuers, as well as employees progressing towards their RICS qualifications. One of our Chartered Surveyors sits on the First Tier Tribunal and acts as an Independent Expert and Arbitrator. Our surveying team specialise in Valuation Surveying, offering a range of services.

Our sister company, Overill Associates, are also a firm of Chartered Surveyors. They specialise in Building Surveying and offer different services. 

For more information, please contact our Head of Professional Services and Partner MRICS, Mark Deacon or call 01273 321 123.

Recent blog posts

Browse by category